Private Individual Licensing
When you sign an individual Image Release and give your permission for Paul Marshall/Documento to take your photograph, the release also sets out the image license conditions. These basically permit you, the private individual, to do whatever you want with the images except re-license them to a 3rd party.
The key phrases are
- Royalty-Free – Once the shoot is paid for, you will not have to pay again to use the images
- All-Use – You can use the images for your own benefit as you like
- Non-transferrable – Only the copyright holder (Photographer) may issue licenses – you may not issue a sub-license to a third party
- Non-exclusive – the photographer may also use the images. e.g. as examples of his work or to create other work
- If your images are shown we credit the artist and will be happy to include a link to your facebook / website
Companies and galleries use Documento to take shots that may be used across a local or national media campaign to entice customers and to promote their services. This commercial use is beyond that normally required by the individual Artist practitioner.
We invite Galleries and corporations to inquire about our pricing arrangements for corporate shoots and licensing for various media.
UK law is very clear regarding ownership of photographic images – By default, the owner of the copyright in the photograph is the photographer – Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988
This is an example of a release signed by both the photographer and you – your release may vary slightly. The language is very legalistic but essentially it gives permission for the shoot, outlines the benefits/restrictions to all parties and provides both you and the photographer with legal clarity about image rights & restrictions.